Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dinner. It's What's for Lunch.

Another adjustment I've had to make is the big midday meal. We typically put together a simple breakfast - eggs, bread, yogurt ... and of course coffee - at least for me. I typically stick with the coffee and bread in the morning and head right to work. But ... lunch is a big deal, 3 course meal of meat, beans, rice, fresh bread, salad, vegetables and/or soup (sometimes all) typically occurring anywhere between 2pm and 4pm - usually after all the kids return from school. It's usually prepared by my brother-in-law, who makes time to be home when his kids get out of school, although we may be bringing in a new recruit to help with the household chores (more on that later... hopefully) so he can get his work schedule squared away.
anticuchos Photo Credit: http://miamidepartamentos.wordpress.com/

I would love to pitch in, but 1) I don't cook nearly as well as he does and 2) I don't have a grasp on any dishes that are even remotely Peruvian, which might send the whole house out of whack. 3) I've been so looking forward to the new food experiences that my pizza or meatloaf just don't excite me.

Late in the evening a small sandwich & some fresh fruit or something like that rounds out the meal schedule.

I'll tell you what, I need to really rethink my eating habits. Trying to get to 3pm on nothing but coffee and bread is a bigger adjustment than I had originally thought. By the afternoon meal, I'm famished. That said, even though I don't speak Spanish, it's a really nice break in the day to gather around the table with a big family, and share a meal without bedtime looming for our 5 year old.


No comments:

Post a Comment