It's all 220v. All of it. Everywhere.While you may see an outlet that looks like it will accept your appliance - don't do it. It's 220 volts. Your American appliances - laptop, desktop PC, phone charger, etc are all 110 volts. Unless you brought an American Refrigerator or your washer and dryer your are going to need some equipment.
Don't be fooled ... some outlets (there are a variely here) look like your standard one from home ... they are not.
You'll need what's called a step down inverter. It converts the 220 down to 110 so you can safely plug in your gadgets. My father in law had 2 around the house which I have confiscated. Each weighs about 20 lbs and is the size of 1/2 a loaf of bread. Not exactly portable, but I can manage. Bring some power strips/ surge protector with you though, as the inverter only has 1 outlet. Al also brought extension cords - but they are the ungrounded, 2 hole type so they are of no use. The surge protection may be overkill, as the converter is already stepping down the charge, but I feel safer using it as I work online and can't afford for my computer(s) to fall victim to one of the many frequent power surges here in Peru.
Reliability may also be an issue. In 2 weeks we have only lost power once - for about 2.5 hours on a Saturday afternoon. Not so bad, but certainly not what I would have expected in the States seeing as it wasn't excessively hot, no weather, etc.. Still not exactly sure how common that is so I'm keeping an eye on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment