Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Internet Access in Lima

After convincing the powers that be that "Sure, I can do my job just as easily from Peru" (I work online), I must admit, I was just a little nervous. Sure, from what I read online getting the same 4MB speed in Lima from the cable company was just as easy as getting (DSL) in Vegas (10MB is also available here ... which it is NOT in Vegas).

My girl's family had it set up and running when we got here. I honestly have noticed no difference from back home. Also we purchased a prepaid 3g USB wireless card from Claro for those times we will be out and about. The 3g is really good here to, just slightly nocicble that it's slower. My only other 3g experience was with  my Android phone - and that was painful, so this was a nice surprise.

Thing to note - even for a prepaid usb wireless dongle you are going to need some paperwork - you need to present your "Tourist Card" which, from what I have read was stamped and handed to us when they stamped our passports. No clue where that thing is, so we had her brother buy them with his Peruvian driver's license.

Also note you will need the Tourist Card or your passport to use your credit card, at least at the big chain stores. Sodimac, Tottus etc. it's almost easier to carry cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment