Monday, November 21, 2011

How I Watch U.S. TV in Peru

I know, with my lack of Spanish skills, I should be watching Big Bang Theory in the local language to get a feel for it, but it's pretty tough. I like to get in one show a night just before bed and wash away the previous work day.

I thought I had it all figured out. Before leaving for Lima, I had my Hulu and Netflix accounts all ready to go (I wanted to go that route anyway, even if we weren't headed to Lima - just to unload my $80 DirecTV bill). Guess what?

Neither of which worked when I got to Peru. Apparently these services only work within the US. Now what? Pretty simple fix - get a proxy server. I use USProxy.TV, but a quick Google search will reveal a host of options ... I just grabbed the first one I saw. Setup was simple, just follow the instructions provided.I pay about $9 (US Dollars/mo for it). So, for a total of about $24 I can access both my HuluPlus and Netflix accounts and see the latest, and not so latest TV episodes from the comfort of our place in Lima.

Additionally, since my computer now thinks it is in the States, I don't have to worry about it defaulting to things like google.pe or yahoo.pe and mess around with changing the language on each page I visit.

As it stands right now, we are, by nature of things, forced to watch these shows on my laptop - but it ain't so bad. Next, I'll try to get a proxy server configured on my Wii - and watch TV on an actual TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment